Portal   Forum   Memberlist   Search   Online Players
  08-15-2020, 04:03 AM

Smashmus, That Yearly Tradition
Greetings folks- it's that time of year again, where we uphold one of the oldest and most noble GK traditions, and attempt to beat each other's brains out in the spirit of good fun (Kr8dle Proud).

To that end, I'm pleased to announce the commencement of the (4th? 5th?) Smashmus, to be hosted by yours truly (although I can always use volunteers to help me organize) this upcoming

Saturday the 23rd of December, starting at 5est/4 central.

Users must possess Teamspeak, the address of which will be ts3.gkserver.us

For those who are unaware, the format of the Smashmus event is as follows:

The event takes place over the course of the afternoon- put simply, the better a warband player you are, the further you are likely to progress, so plan your evening accordingly based on your skill. I would like to start punctually at 5, however I recognize that a 5:20 start time is much more likely (since warband players as a whole tend to lack punctuality). Once the event has begun, I will permit late players to join until the over half the players involved have reached the second bracket.

It will take place on the GK Siege server (which will be converted to deathmatch and be played on the Golden Kingdom Tournament Grounds). The factions to be played will feature Swadia and Vaigers.

Combat speed will be set to medium, and Gold will be limited to 2000 cap.

The overarching idea behind Smashmus is to host a duel-style tourney in which players must demonstrate overall skill in all three classes in order to win, rather than one. To that end, the bracket is a single elimination ladder (with the potential for a loser's bracket if I have enough help organizing). Once you've lost, however, you lose all chance of winning the tournament.

The scores obtained for each class are cumulative. This means that while the infantry duels are fought first to 3, the loser of the duel retains his score progressing forward. The same is done as the players progress through archery and cavalry, until a final tally is made. The player with the overall higher number tally may then progress forward. In the event of a tie, both players will engage in a second first to 3 infantry duel, winner take all.

The format of the individual rules are as follows:

Infantry (First to 3)

- Infantry duels may take place in any location which possesses a level playing ground, and does not impede flow of traffic for others.
- Duels are fought as infantry, with all weapons/armor allowed (excluding NeoGK weapons, which are forbidden on the basis of fairness).
- Players are encouraged to take whichever weapons they are most comfortable using, however, they are bound by good sportsmanship not to change their selected gear once the duel has commenced.

Archery (First to 4)

- Archery duels will take place in one of two specially designed arenas, which will be shown prior to the event beginning.
- Players must select vaiger archer as their class- Swadian crossbowmen are forbidden.
- Players are encouraged to take 1 bow, and 3 packs of arrows (there will be no melee contact between the players)
- Players are bound by the good sportsman rule to engage in combat. Excessive "turtling" (i.e. hiding behind a barricade and refusing to engage) will result in a warning the first time, and a default score of 4-0 awarded to their opponent should the offense occur again.
- Please be courteous of other players, and avoid getting in the way of their respective duels.

Cavalry (First to 5)

-Cavalry duels must take place in open terrain, with enough space as to allow both players the option of reaching top speed before contact (Note: we disclaim the use of the jousting arena for cavalry duels).
- As with the infantry duels, cavalry players are bound by the good sportsman rule to not change equipment (including horses) once the duel has commenced.
- Cavalry are permitted use of all weapons/horses/armor, with the exception of the Swadian Great Lance, and NeoGK weapons.
- Cavalry rounds are scored as follows: A player receives one point for killing their opponent's horse, and one point for killing their opponent. In the event that they kill their opponent while they remain mounted, the victor may claim two points.
- In the event of a player reaching the requisite number of points before killing their opponent, they are obliged to finish the duel in good faith.
- Should a player be dismounted, their opponent may choose to either continue the engagement from horseback, or dismount to finish the melee on foot.
- Once one player has been dismounted, the other may choose to dismount their horse at any time. The previously dismounted player cannot score any points for killing a dismounted horse.
- Dismounting is qualified as having executed the animation to where both of the player's feet are touching the ground.

Any discrepancies or inconsistencies within the rules should be brought to the attention of the admins running the event. The admins reserve the right to disqualify anyone using cheats/hacks.

Anyway, on to the prizes! While hopefully one could expect many to show to partake in a large community celebration, I am not above a little persuading as well.

To that end, I am pleased to offer, on the behalf of Jaxm, a $100 prize for 1st, a $50 prize for 2nd, and a $25 prize for 3rd.

As a final disclaimer, the number one excuse I have heard over the years, from countless players, has been that since they did not expect to win, they did not bother to show. This is faulty reasoning, and I highly encourage everyone who enjoys warband to join for one of the oldest North American traditions. If I see you online at the time of the event, I will be spamming you on steam.

Cheers,

Marquis

"Crack Shot. One Shot. One Kill."

Best songs ever- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qklYFKA8kl0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wY6i5vRlUU

Someday my arrows will find you,
Pierce that armor that binds you,
One shot, will remind you
You're up against de Montalban!

If I should ever miss you,
Don't fret, next one will kiss you,
One shot, will remiss you
you're up against de Montalban!

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread
winding its way through our political and cultural
life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
- Dr. Isaac Asimov

5$ for second place, oh boy!!
Let's up the stakes - $100 for first place, $50 for second, $25 for 3rd
Well, I would throw my hat into the ring, as I generally enjoy doing this stuff without prizes for motivation; but I'll be working. Good luck to all those who do sign up and remember to have fun first and foremost.

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Oh Glorious Theme music I have found you.

A Heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced & the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all.
I'll try my best to be there; with my skill I plan to be out by 5:21.
Pretty sure I already have plans that day.

[Image: meWCZmj.png][Image: 9CsjuZz.jpg]
Well, what are the results?

Second Sino-Japanese War (War of Resistance Against Japan, Eight Years' War of Resistance, Fourteen Years' War of Resistance, 抗日战争, 抗日戰爭, 八年抗战, 八年抗戰, 抗战, 抗戰, 十四年抗战, 十四年抗戰, Global Anti-Fascist War)
First Place: Aporta
Second Place: Guaccamoleboy
Third Place: Alejanbro
Honorable Mention: Killing Them Softly

"Crack Shot. One Shot. One Kill."

Best songs ever- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qklYFKA8kl0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wY6i5vRlUU

Someday my arrows will find you,
Pierce that armor that binds you,
One shot, will remind you
You're up against de Montalban!

If I should ever miss you,
Don't fret, next one will kiss you,
One shot, will remiss you
you're up against de Montalban!

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread
winding its way through our political and cultural
life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy
means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
- Dr. Isaac Asimov

Congratulations to the top placers. Hopefully there were some great matches and fun all around in the event. I know the one's I've participated in, in the past have been a good time.

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Oh Glorious Theme music I have found you.

A Heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced & the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all.