Portal   Forum   Memberlist   Search   Online Players
  08-15-2020, 03:43 AM

Lack of Unification
GK, although a large clan, is currently inactive (due to the delay of Bannerlord). This is not helped by the split across multiple media platforms. Currently, GK as far as I'm aware has these forums, the Discord, and the Teamspeak. In order to partially revive it, I feel the need for people to switch to one platform. This way the clan can communicate more efficiently.

The pros and cons of each:

Forums:
Pros:
Good for announcing times and events
Easier way to keep track of ban appeals
Chat isn't instantaneous
Cons:
Hardest to moderate
Outdated
Issues:
Most outdated
Most inactive at the moment
Huge number of bots

Teamspeak:
Pros:
Heavily voice chat focused
Good place for community to go on
Cons:
Non-persistent messages
Issues:
Split across more than one Teamspeak server

Discord:
Pros:
Message focused
Instantaneous notification
Easy to group up and play a game
Good mobile app
Cons:
Newer platform that some don't like
Cannot self-host
Discord servers go down sometimes
Issues:
A little inactive
Lack of awareness of platform

Second Sino-Japanese War (War of Resistance Against Japan, Eight Years' War of Resistance, Fourteen Years' War of Resistance, 抗日战争, 抗日戰爭, 八年抗战, 八年抗戰, 抗战, 抗戰, 十四年抗战, 十四年抗戰, Global Anti-Fascist War)
Discord and forums are probably the way to go.

The forums are good for raw storage and access of information, while Discord is perhaps the best VoIP/chat platform available.

Nope.
Aside from the the pros you listed for the forums, there's just too much information to throw away. Members should have access to that internal information to know what GK's been through and why it's where it's at today. Things like the roster and all of the mandates clan member have made throughout the years. Even some of the things most members can't see, like the application archives or lord discussions. GK has a long history that makes it what it is and nobody should ever forget it.
Well, I know I use the forum a lot; but with warband on the back burner and bannerlord not out yet, there is not a ton of information that needs to be conveyed at the moment. But the infrastructure is all in place when (if) bannerlord comes out to handle the things we use the forum for in warband and with the same numbers.
The bots aren't that bad. And being older doesn't mean outdated.

Discord is too much like facebook, focuses on now and not the past. We need to have the past in way too many areas to cut from a forum to discord only.

Also a lot of us prefer TS over discord. Its much easier to choose what and where I want to be on TS. Being on discord marks you online everywhere.
I kinda agree, but I think that we should have one forum and one voice chat. Having two of each doesn't really make sense.

Discord seems like the best choice for voice chat nowadays:
1. No hosting costs or resources necessary.
2. Great text chat support with emojis, file transfers, pictures, and history.
3. It shows what games people are playing.
4. Roles and notifications make it easy to setup a game with others.
5. Easier to get members and non-members online. Most people have it set to start when their PC starts.
6. Private messaging system.

At this point I really don't see an advantage to TS.

As Veni said though, Discord isn't really a forum replacement. It has too much idle chatter and there is no way to make discussion threads for individual topics.
We are a large clan and many members are not active. Bannerlord seems fairly distant for release and while those members do have the option to return if desired as their membership hasn't expired with inactivity I'm starting to wonder over a year or two how many will return. Once bannerlord comes out though we can get an influx of new members and revitalize things. For the time being though, we do have the infrastructure to support that initiative when Bannerlord does finally release with most of the workload in moving to Bannerlord being setting up a server and deciding if we want to keep the Warband one for a while or shut that down.

Until that time though, With as many members that are active as is, I think there are too many sources to spread what active members we do have thin. We have 2 versions of the forums, Discord, and TeamSpeak. That is simply too many things to separate members from really ever interacting with eachother. So we should really pick one forum and one voicechat thing so members can easily have a single source to go to meet up or interact with other members about various things. In addition to that, also have a single place for pubbers or people who play on our servers to easily reach us for ban appeals or possible interest in joining GK.

The forums here are a little old, but I think they are fairly easy to use. So we can continue to use these ones or if there is a similar but fresher forums out there we should move to that. As far as a voice thing goes, I haven't had a chance to use Discord, but from what I've heard or understood is that there are no specific separate rooms and everyone who joins can pretty much all be talking at the same time might be hard to organize various things. For instance if we have a few members playing Warband, another few playing a different game like tanks, and members who play DnD are all talking that could get confusing or make things hard for those respective players to communicate specific things with the things they're doing, no? Or am I misunderstanding that aspect?

TeamSpeak is fairly easy to use though and has those separate rooms to not hassle those on it when doing certain things that would benefit from having separate rooms. 

TL;DR: We should really have 1 forums and 1 voice chat thing so members and those not in our clan can easily gather and reach us without confusion.

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Oh Glorious Theme music I have found you.

A Heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced & the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all.
(02-12-2018, 08:18 AM)CarefulDeath Wrote:  We are a large clan and many members are not active. Bannerlord seems fairly distant for release and while those members do have the option to return if desired as their membership hasn't expired with inactivity I'm starting to wonder over a year or two how many will return. Once bannerlord comes out though we can get an influx of new members and revitalize things. For the time being though, we do have the infrastructure to support that initiative when Bannerlord does finally release with most of the workload in moving to Bannerlord being setting up a server and deciding if we want to keep the Warband one for a while or shut that down.

Until that time though, With as many members that are active as is, I think there are too many sources to spread what active members we do have thin. We have 2 versions of the forums, Discord, and TeamSpeak. That is simply too many things to separate members from really ever interacting with eachother. So we should really pick one forum and one voicechat thing so members can easily have a single source to go to meet up or interact with other members about various things. In addition to that, also have a single place for pubbers or people who play on our servers to easily reach us for ban appeals or possible interest in joining GK.

The forums here are a little old, but I think they are fairly easy to use. So we can continue to use these ones or if there is a similar but fresher forums out there we should move to that. As far as a voice thing goes, I haven't had a chance to use Discord, but from what I've heard or understood is that there are no specific separate rooms and everyone who joins can pretty much all be talking at the same time might be hard to organize various things. For instance if we have a few members playing Warband, another few playing a different game like tanks, and members who play DnD are all talking that could get confusing or make things hard for those respective players to communicate specific things with the things they're doing, no? Or am I misunderstanding that aspect?

TeamSpeak is fairly easy to use though and has those separate rooms to not hassle those on it when doing certain things that would benefit from having separate rooms. 

TL;DR: We should really have 1 forums and 1 voice chat thing so members and those not in our clan can easily gather and reach us without confusion.

Discord can have separate rooms.  These are the current ones at the moment (and there can be more made if needed).  Note that the ones with the speaker next to in are the voice rooms.  The voice and the text chats operate separately, so you can be in one voice channel and text chat at a time.  Also you can be in more than one server, I just have the servers I'm in cut out of the screenshot.

Second Sino-Japanese War (War of Resistance Against Japan, Eight Years' War of Resistance, Fourteen Years' War of Resistance, 抗日战争, 抗日戰爭, 八年抗战, 八年抗戰, 抗战, 抗戰, 十四年抗战, 十四年抗戰, Global Anti-Fascist War)
Thanks for clearing that up. If that's the case then when choosing between TeamSpeak and Discord I suppose it should come down to which of the two people prefer using.

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Oh Glorious Theme music I have found you.

A Heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced & the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all.
I completely forgot that we had a different forum. I am in, effect, using one voice and one forum at the moment and it seems to work. I do prefer TS to discord as I have a tendency to want to go back and read absolutely everything I have missed without skipping a line, but I have moved onto the platform lately to accommodate a project so I'm not totally unfamiliar with it at least. Haven't tried out the voice chat on it yet though.

[Image: meWCZmj.png][Image: 9CsjuZz.jpg]