Portal   Forum   Memberlist   Search   Online Players
  10-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Archers Limit on TDM
As you may know, we're having problems on TDM with the classes, sometimes teams are almost full of archers and that kills the server population every day because people can't even move, we have been thinking about adding a limit to the archers but the problem is, the server population is always changing, so if we set the limit to 15 archers per team and there are only 30 players on the server the limit does not make any sense, so basically we need to create a code that changes based on the number of people on the server, so if there are 80 players we can set a limit to 10 archers 10 cav and 20 infantry x 2 = 80 or something like that, other ideas are also welcome. studying the code i found this 
Code:
File: madmin_presentations.py
Line 1719: #ARCHER LIMIT    
Line 1720: (create_text_overlay, reg0, "@Archer Limit per Team", 0),
Line 1725: (create_mesh_overlay, reg0, "mesh_cb_ui_icon_archer"),
File: madmin_scripts.py
Line 1503: (ge, ":class", multi_troop_class_archer),
Line 1507: (str_store_string,s1,"@There are too many archers. Please choose another troop."),
Line 1513: (str_store_string,s1,"@There are too many archers. Please choose another troop."),
Line 1599: (ge, ":class", multi_troop_class_archer),

even if this is not the answer we're looking for, these are the name of the files that needs to be edited, maybe i'm missing a file too so feel free to let me know if i should add more files.

note that we're working on a native module, so the code must work for people that does not have neogk mod. if we are not careful we may have problems like people spawning without weapons or wrong weapons because the limit is full.
We should be able to use code that works with Napoleonic Wars and maybe even Viking Conquest because it's the same engine. so if you know a mod / dlc that has this feature we may get permission to add that code to our module system.

if you have a better idea let us know! you can reply here or send a PM to me or the GK chief admins / jaXm 
Also, if there are grammar errors please fix them! i still have problems sometimes while writing on english.

[Image: 1029968.png]
For the CC events we use a different module that has a percentage based class limit option. I will look at how the code on that works and see if it's something we could use.
You could just nerf arrow/bow damage. Only top tier bows (vaegirs) are a real problem because it wasn't designed with near 100% accuracy in mind.
I think the gold nerf we did awhile back may have made the bow damage more pronounced. People cant afford good armor when they start out anymore, but Vaegir archers can still afford a war bow and the best arrows.
Last time I stepped on there were 18 archers out of 23 players on one team. Nevermind the fact, half of them I never seen before and they were pulling off headshots left and right. Was just a little too suspect to me. It's almost as if there is a well known free aimbot that is easily searched for on google or something. But what do I know?
(06-21-2018, 08:32 PM)leewong Wrote:  Last time I stepped on there were 18 archers out of 23 players on one team. Nevermind the fact, half of them I never seen before and they were pulling off headshots left and right. Was just a little too suspect to me. It's almost as if there is a well known free aimbot that is easily searched for on google or something. But what do I know?

I am one of the folks who loves to be archer.  Normally, I prefer Sarranids as they have a decent sword with which to melee.  When using Vaegir, I never use anything but the strong bow.  It does get a bit ridiculous sometimes with the number of archers, but I find the same with any, other, non-infantry i.e. cav.  All that to say that, while increasing the difficulty to purchase top tier bows could very well get alter choices, but not for me.

Insofar as the magic head shots:  I have also seen some pretty amazing individuals.  Once or twice, I have seen folks who are 100 percent head shot without even aiming - close or distance.  But, there are no hacks in Warband. 
Leewong, i made a thread on the private chief admin forum with Rhapsodos' help about this, lets avoid talking about delicated stuff like that here. if you think that you can help us with some information you can add me on steam or adding a chief admin. im also working on that kind of stuff to avoid people hacking.. if other Gk bundle developers or chief admins consideer prudent delete the comments or move the thread to the courtyard. 

[Image: 1029968.png]
Nerfing gold will not alleviate the problem. Sarrinids are great archers and have garbage bows. I think lowering the archer cap is the only solution, not sure if you can code in a percentage cap, something like 20 percent seems fair.
(06-21-2018, 08:32 PM)leewong Wrote:  Last time I stepped on there were 18 archers out of 23 players on one team. Nevermind the fact, half of them I never seen before and they were pulling off headshots left and right. Was just a little too suspect to me. It's almost as if there is a well known free aimbot that is easily searched for on google or something. But what do I know?

Some of the more competitive warbanders like to come on TDM sometimes and go archer and destroy everyone. Usually people like Manry, Chowski, etc.
I don't think putting in class limits is the only solution. Before I make my argument I would like to state that I don't like to use archery in game and when I do it is usually to counter enemy archers or cavalry and I do find it kind of annoying when it seems like the teams on both sides devolve into shooting matches with majority of archers.

Now, onto the argument. Yes, limiting the archers on the server will solve the problem. Though I think that is antithetical to what we aim to provide on the server and limiting archers only will have a serious impact on gameplay. Namely you will see a rise in cav, people will start complaining about that. What then? Well, we will of limited archers, we will be inclined to limit cav as well. Then on large open maps people will complain they have to spend a bunch of time running as infantry to get to the action, or that they can never play what they want because the limit is always reached locking them out. So in short, I think if we start limiting classes it's going to turn into a mess, it's a very heavy handed solution.

There are ways to limit classes without having to impose hard limits on who gets to play what class. The solution resides in map design. When you see matches with a lot of archers the map has key features to aide that style of play to make it dominant. Those features being wide open spaces with some cover spots to make it hard to get to by infantry and cav. 

If you want to limit archers, you can easily do so by changing the map rotation to be detrimental to play archery, remove maps that support dominant archer play and put in more maps that encourage all class play,  or put in more closed maps where infantry can easily reach archers and you will see a decline in people playing that class.

That way, you will limit classes in a much more engaging and organic fashion and still give the option for people to play said classes even if it isn't optimal or tough to pull off.

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Oh Glorious Theme music I have found you.

A Heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced & the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all.